Installing port in side tank

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Installing port in side tank

Postby Checksix127 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:09 pm

Good Evening you all.

I am restoring a 1992 Sunfish/Laser built Daysailor 1. I need to install an inspection port into the side tank to access an area for repair. I cut into the tank today and hit a metal strip that is glassed onto the interior surface. It seems like it is only slightly wider than the hole but I am not completely certain. My theory is that this strip is a backing plate for the spinnaker block.

Do any of you know if this is a structural element or just a backing plate? Is it OK to cut it to install the port?

I couldn't add an image to this post but I did add two picture to my personal album on the site. (checksix127) Link to gallery is here>>>> gallery/search.php?user_id=3884&display=popup

Thanks Much!
Colin Walker
Checksix127

Re: Installing port in side tank

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:51 am

Oooh, bad luck!

If I get this right, the metal is at the bottom half of your hole. I can't see any fittings at that location. To be a backing plate, the block would have to sit right above the seat; seems unusual - are there mounting holes? (Not familiar myself with that generation of the DS1).

I think it would be unusual for anything structural to be metal, unless it continues down underneath the seat and ties into the thwart?

If it is just a square with nothing attached, I'd agree, that looks like a backing plate.

A photo from the inside will tell you more.

Also, the key to posting photos is to use jpeg compression, not just smaller dimensions. The limits are on data size as well as pixels, but your pix were really small.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only