Help needed - Main sail halyard position

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Help needed - Main sail halyard position

Postby NicoB » Thu Apr 18, 2019 12:51 pm

Hello Everyone - I'm new to sailing and picked up a '78 Day Sailer II last year. While hoisting the sails in my yard I noticed that the main sail did not go up to the top of the mast - see first photo. I saw that the line was through the pulley on the side of the mast, and then a friend said that it should be through the top of the mast, so I changed it - see photo two. My questions to the group:

1. Which location is correct - top or side?
2. If the correct location is the top, then what is the purpose of the side pulley?
3. If the correct location is the side, then what is the purpose of the top pulleys?

Thanks!
Nick
Attachments
Photo1.jpg
Original halyard position - side pulley
Photo1.jpg (237 KiB) Viewed 10215 times
Photo2.jpg
Changed position to top pulleys. Which is correct?
Photo2.jpg (169.93 KiB) Viewed 10215 times
NicoB

Re: Help needed - Main sail halyard position

Postby hsumralljr » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:03 pm

TOP!

The side block was probably installed for a topping lift for the end of your boom.
Herb Sumrall, Jr.
Baton Rouge, LA

DS1 #3235
DS1 #2844
hsumralljr

Postby Alan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:15 pm

hsumralljr is correct. The main halyard goes through the top pulley (the fitting is called the masthead, and the wheels are called sheaves).

I agree about the side pulley (called a block) being used for a topping lift. I've got a similar setup on my 1980 DSII.
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:31 pm

Nick, looks like you got two good answers here.

Just to add: a topping lift is a (thin) line that can be used to keep your boom level when the sail is down. You can use it with a boom tent (as some people to do camp in the boat or cover it when in the water) or you can flake your main (or roll it) and tie it to the boom while docked or at anchor, to keep it out of the cockpit.

The topping lift should be slack while sailing.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby NicoB » Thu Apr 18, 2019 1:38 pm

Thank you All for the super quick replies! Very much appreciated! Regarding the topping lift line, what weight/type of line do you recommend?
NicoB

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:11 pm

I'd use FSE Robline "Dinghy Control" 3mm, just because that line is as thin / light as it gets yet still strong, and easy to handle.

However, it's not that cheap. You could use 2mm Amsteel. That doesn't have the nice mantle, and is a bit slippery, it's very light and plenty strong. For for a topping lift you don't care that much that its slippery: you don't use it constantly and it only has to support the weight of the boom (plus sail, and/or boom tent). It's not like it has to hold the wind force on a full sail in a gust.

You do want light, because you are adding weight up the mast, where you don't want it, and you want thin to reduce any drag.

Otherwise you could simply take any old halyard.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:28 pm

I don't have a topping lift on my boat, but there's an older thread that describes the ropes for various lines used on my boat. You might find that of interest, even if it's only one person's perspective.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby NicoB » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:31 pm

Thanks again! Will look for something at the local sail shop. Much appreciated and have a fun and safe sailing season.
NicoB

Postby Wroderick » Tue Apr 23, 2019 11:18 pm

I just use regular paracord for my topping lift. It's cheap, light, and does the trick.
Wroderick

Postby NicoB » Wed Apr 24, 2019 7:28 am

I thought about using parachord as well. Thank you!
NicoB

Postby Signalcharlie » Wed May 08, 2019 4:47 am

Nice boat. I used 1/8th inch nylon line from New England Rope sold by West Marine, it comes precut in a 50 foot package, usually found in a basket back by their other line. That was plenty for the topping lift. There are several pictures on our blog of how we installed it http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html

Cheers!
Kent
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Small Boat Restoration blog http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Signalcharlie

Postby NicoB » Wed May 08, 2019 5:21 pm

Thanks Kent! Much appreciated. I'll set mine up the same way. Also, what is the load capacity of the block you have for the sail clew?
NicoB

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 08, 2019 6:00 pm

Signalcharlie wrote: There are several pictures on our blog of how we installed it http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html

nice blog
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Wed May 08, 2019 6:04 pm

NicoB wrote:Thanks Kent! Much appreciated. I'll set mine up the same way. Also, what is the load capacity of the block you have for the sail clew?

Nico, the loads on the topping lift are largely static and given by weight of boom, sail and whatever cover you put on, including boom tent. With the nylon rope you would not get shock loads as it should be quite stretchy.

Typical small blocks that match what Kent put on his mast would support working loads from 200-300 pounds and up. That should prove sufficient.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Signalcharlie » Fri May 10, 2019 8:49 pm

I have no idea what the load rating is, but Greenlake's answer seems reasonable.

And thanks GreenLake, we have fun with the blog.
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Small Boat Restoration blog http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Signalcharlie

Next

Return to Day Sailer II Only