Need Mast for DS2 - West Coast

Moderator: GreenLake

Need Mast for DS2 - West Coast

Postby An6uS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:29 am

Looking for a mast for my 1984 DS2 :(
Willing to travel anywhere on the west coast to pick it up.
I'm currently set up with a tabernacle/hinge, but will convert to a one piece/taper.
What I've learned
+ Ballenger no longer makes/supports DS spars
+ Selden may have an in-kind replacement
+ DR marine wont ship to west coast
+ Have not checked with Cape Cod

Please help - my back cannot take another day on a laser or 420. All that ducking with each tack is pathetic

:roll: :roll: :roll:
An6uS

Re: Need Mast for DS2 - West Coast

Postby Alan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:24 am

If a new one is in your budget, you can get it here:

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... 2D284+Mast

They've told me in the past that the DM-284 is the most common of their mast sections used on Daysailers. They're pretty good at giving advice.
Alan

Postby An6uS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:31 pm

On my road to recovery
Thanks Alan for the referral

Mike from Dwyer is forwarding me a spec sheet and I will be double checking measurements tonight

All in - I'm in for ~$800 for mast + rigging, which is all new from the tabernacle hinge plate up, minus the forestay which I already upgraded and was not damaged by my stupidity.
And the mast will have all the parts assembled (save the spreaders) so I can skip the hand fights with a rivet tool :D

Best of all - they have a planned shipment of new boats to deliver to West Coast Sailing here in Portland, in just a few weeks.
So my mast will be transported with a dedicated shipment of boats/spars/gear. Saves some $$ and very high certainty it will come in great condition.

GL - if you leave this up, I will share my cost details when final in a few days so other DS junkies can know what the 2019/2020 price is for (new) replacement spar
An6uS

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 pm

As you are no longer looking for a mast to purchase, I'll move the whole thread to the Rigging section - that way it should avoid the "sweep" that prunes the marketplace-type sections of the forum sixty days after posting. Will see whether that works.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby An6uS » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:33 pm

I've attached the spec sheet I received from Mike at Dwyer
It looks exactly as mine (1984 DS2), but I'm going to verify dimensions.
I also need to determine the offset for the spreader brackets to get the correct sweep for the shrouds/side stays

One step closer

O'DAY CO (BANGOR PUNTA)_DAY SAILER II_17_DM-284_OMT1.jpg
O'DAY CO (BANGOR PUNTA)_DAY SAILER II_17_DM-284_OMT1.jpg (104.53 KiB) Viewed 5533 times
An6uS

Postby An6uS » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:26 pm

Just posting an update

I was able to source some used boats and could scavenge a mast/rigging in the NW.
But then would have to figure out what to do with an older hull, and try to sell an equally aged trailer.
Not great, but would have saved some $$ ….

Since Dwyer could provide a direct replacement for my 1984 DS II, I went with that option.
And of course I threw in some upgrades with spreaders/stays etc.

Crewing on other boats and using club boats in the meantime
The mast is ready, but coming with some new Zim 420's direct to West Coast Sailing here in Portland OR.
So saved a little on shipping and in good hands with a direct shipment instead of multiple trucks.

I will send another update once the mast arrives
An6uS

Return to Rigging