How many pool noodles?

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

How many pool noodles?

Postby amedsker » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:48 am

I'm getting ready to put some inspection ports in my seats and in the bow and replace the old foam with pool noodles and I have two questions. First, how many pool noodles does it take to fill the space under both seats and in the bow? And second, I've noticed that all of the pool noodles at the store are hollow. Does this matter? It's about the right time of year for stores to be marking down pool noodles so I figure I should get them now while I can.
amedsker

Re: How many pool noodles?

Postby GreenLake » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:01 pm

That question sounds like it should have an answer in some older post somewhere. I know this has been discussed, including people bragging about the good deals they got on them. I wouldn't sweat the hollow core.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hsumralljr » Wed Aug 14, 2019 3:08 pm

Here's a link to the solid noodles I used. It took about 1.5 boxes.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00 ... UTF8&psc=1
Herb Sumrall, Jr.
Baton Rouge, LA

DS1 #3235
DS1 #2844
hsumralljr

Postby amedsker » Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:30 am

I took a trip to my local Big Lots yesterday and was able to get 54 pool noodles (all they had left) that were marked down to 75 cents each! For anyone looking to get some, the end of summer is probably the best time to find them on sale.
amedsker

Postby jalmeida51 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:09 pm

I used about 40 noodles 15 each in the seat tanks 10 in the forward compartment tank. The old foam was not water saturated and I left it in the tanks. It seems there was not much form put in the tanks when the boat was built in 1981. Even with the old foam left in there was plenty of room for the noodles. Paid .99 You got a good deal.
jalmeida51

Postby kimrpaige » Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:19 pm

Reading these posts about foam/ pool noodles/ water bottles has got me wondering if I should open up my front tank and under both seats? I just purchased a 1980 Rebel DS1, and all looks good but it is 39 years old, and I also have at least 2 new unused inspection port covers. Pool noodles seem expensive, and water bottles could also be expensive here in Maine at 5 cents each, LOL. What size bottles is best? Thanks, Kim
kimrpaige

Postby GreenLake » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:17 pm

I used the blue construction foam in the front. It may not be perfect, but it's got to be better than 1960's styrofoam. Not sure if the pink foam is better or just a different brand, but that's what I had lying around. It's getting on ten years from the date of installation and about time to check things behind the inspection port.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Anstigmat » Sat Jan 02, 2021 6:23 pm

Not to dredge up an old thread but what inspection port is everyone buying to do this job? Sounds like I'll need 2 for the seats and 1 for the space under the storage in the cuddy.
Anstigmat

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:01 pm

You will find them listed as "screw-out deck plates". Top brand names are Beckson and Sea Dog. There may be others.

For the front, you'll want the largest you can get, for the seats, you'll want the largest you can fit comfortably on the forward face. For at least one of the one in the seats you might consider getting the option where you can hang a little bag inside the opening for watertight storage of some small items. If that appeals to you.

I got mine from https://www.fisheriessupply.com
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby hsumralljr » Sun Jan 03, 2021 9:43 pm

As GreenLake said, use threaded deck plates, the twist lock are garbage. Also, make sure the lids come fitted with "O" rings.
Herb Sumrall, Jr.
Baton Rouge, LA

DS1 #3235
DS1 #2844
hsumralljr

Return to Day Sailer I Only