New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New member with a 1968 DS1(rigging pics pg 6-7)

Postby igotit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:56 am

Names nick,born n raised on the bayou.been on boats all my 39 years,but never a sailboat.where i live in Louisiana,sailboats arent common due to the shallow waters.i can only remember seeing 5 sailboats pass here.1 belonged to my uncle.....a wood kit that was in an auction lot.#2 was in a storage yard for over 30 years,maybe 36ft ketch 1960s era.#3 was a 12 ft dinghy that was a dust collector in a childhood friends dads shop.#4 been parked and stripped,and afloat for bout 8 years,similar to a mid 2000s hunter 28.#5 was the first sailboat i seen riding,not sailing thou.just cruising the bayou,maybe a 23-25ft.
I came across a decent condition 1972 DS1 boat motor n trailer for $900......i couldnt say no.
Hull is in good shape,has the standard rotten transom,cracked trunk and leaky centerboard pivot gasket.
Sails are in ok shape,dont know their age,but ill post the manufacture info thats on the sails and bags at a later time.(i think i read knighton sails).....im not near the boat at this time.
Mast,boom and rigging all look ok,some lines are new.
The motor is a china 4 stroke 2.5hp honda hs50 clone and works well.ive put 15-17 miles on the hull and motor only.she cruises at 6mph wot.in a week ill try to get her out and first sail.
Been watching youtube how to sail vids for almost a year now,knowing i wanted a small sailboat.
DS1 wasnt the exact boat i was looking for,but shes exactly what i needed.
Ill get to the repairs soon,and post up pictures as soon as i can.im no sranger to rebuilding boats,im good with wood and fiberglass aswell.ive rebuilt a few boats in my years,i love projects.
Shes nothing fancy,just a typical decent shape old boat.
Guy i bought the ds1 from was the second owner,(i was told)original owner kept her from 1973 till 2016,sailed 10-15 times per year in the lake charles louisiana area.im told he kept up on maintenece and garage kept.
Gelcoat on deck is in good shape,besides a few impact areas.no spiderweb stress cracks thou.
Anyway....thanx for this great forum,ill check back when i can.

(edit) ive found the original owner on facebook,really great guy.he told me he had many years of enjoyment out of this ds1.
i havent asked him to confirm the story the seller told me of how well the original owner took care of her.
he suggested i visit this site for as much info as i wanted.
Last edited by igotit on Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
igotit

Re: New member with a DS1

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:40 am

Welcome to the forum.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:10 am

Let me try posting a pic using flickr from my phone.
No option to copy n paste the bbc url,only main url.
My only other computer is a raspberry pi running linux.
https://flic.kr/p/2iEPU29
https://flic.kr/p/2iERjzm
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 16, 2020 11:45 am

Looks like a pretty boat. It may have its issues, as you say, but it looks like it was well taken care of, and recently (compared to the age of the boat). I spot a DSA membership sticker from 2007 still on the transom, and there are indication it was set up for racing at some point. Looks like you have some potential crew member, as well.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:37 pm

theres a few stickers stacked on there,atleast 4 thick.on the port side of the cuddy theres some safety check decals.
i was told the original owner was a proud owner,kept her up.him and his brother both had identical boats and would compete in local races every year.
i dont know much about the rigging aspect,but from google images and searches the mast,boom,compression post and tabernacle are all stock.im still slowly learning terms and what parts are called.it does have a boom vang,the traveler setup isnt stock.the jib i believe is referred to as hank on.has the little button clips to attach it.shrouds seems in good condition,halyards are good.looks like everythings there to sail.
also included was a spinaker with pole......but i seen theres lots of repair tape on the spinaker.
my original plan when i came across this boat on craigslist,i was looking for a boat to convert to a overnight cruiser.something slow and stable.
i contacted the owner.....but after a week no reply,i had forgotten about this ds1.i was bout to go see a 24ft cabin cruiser,and a 82 hunter 27 in poor condition when the ds1 owner replied back.so i guess this boat was meant for me.
im near a local lake thats about 2 miles diameter with average depth of 6ft,always wind there.so i should have plenty room to play and learn.but the lake is littered with crab traps,be a good challenge.
btw.....thanx for the welcome

gonna try out posting pics again,this time from my raspberry pi computer using the bbcode from flickr.
Image20200308_183353 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200308_183359 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200312_182010 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200315_100442 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200313_000437 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200313_000237 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200313_000311 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200313_000226 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200313_000230 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200309_101147 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
Image20200308_183345 by Nick Pellegrin, on Flickr
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:42 pm

OK, Nick. Your sailing area (lake) sounds like it's about perfect for a DS. With kick-up rudder and CB you don't have to fear hitting a shallow spot and a 2mi diameter should be enough room.

A Spinnaker will be fun to use, and you may want to save up for replacing the one you have, although I'm running a hand-me-down of a certain age and with a bit of tape on it and find it still serviceable.

The sample defects that you show in your pictures seem manageable. I have the same cracking in the edges of the cuddy opening (little less, but same location). I've not yet decided to do anything about it. Some PO took care of the transom wood, looks like you'll need to get yours done.

The CB trunk crack should be straightforward to reinforce from the inside, and to fill / fair on the outside. Advantage of a single hull. Wonder what ever happened to that thwart support? Pretty big repair. Did it fail, or was that a result of wanting a different bracket? Do you think, the two are connected? That is, the thwart failed and allowed the CB trunk to twist, hence the crack? Looks like they had some piece of hardware installed, perhaps a way to hold the handle down (careful, if you do that in shallow water. . .)

For CB gaskets, I suggest you order them from DR Marine. They stock parts specifically for the DS and while some generic ones might work, theirs definitely do and they are a great resource for the DS.

Suggest you really check your standing rigging for any hint of cracking or corrosion. Given how the boat was used, it may have been upgraded to 1/8" already (from 3/32") and if so, would be younger than the boat, which would be good. You are right, it looks like you should be able to take her out, pretty much as is, and then get to repairs as you get around to them.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby tomodda » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:07 pm

Hi Nick:

Thanks for the photos. Based on your hull number, it's a 1968 boat. Looks like a great project!

Tom
tomodda

Postby igotit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:17 pm

it lookslike the twart connects to the trunk via aluminium bracked fiberglassed to the trunk sides.the fiberglass failed and the brackets are now loose,allowing the trunk to flex side to side.....causing the trunk to crack at the base.ill try to get that grinded out and repaired before my first sail.i havent measured the shrouds yet to see if they have been upgraded from original.this afternoon ill try to get a closer look at her.
ive noticed the rudder is sticking and doesnt move freely,ill add that to my list.and the centerboad lever has a lock to lock it up position,ill have to be sure it doesnt lock in the down position.
and DR marie is where i has planned to get the gasket,just want to look everything over to see if i need anything else first.
the transome and trunk repairs should be easy enough to do.ill probably redo the thwart mounts,and build a bracket that goes over the trunk to connect to both thwarts to add more strength.
igotit

Postby igotit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:23 pm

tomodda wrote:Hi Nick:

Thanks for the photos. Based on your hull number, it's a 1968 boat. Looks like a great project!

Tom

oddly enough the registration states 1972 oday with no hin number,only registration decal number.registration is valid till 22.i was wondering about discrepancy on the paperwork.
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:47 pm

The paperwork issue is normal for boats that age. They were grandfathered into a new system during that time.

You may need to talk to people to find out whether you are eligible for or required to obtain a one-off HIN in the modern style.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:10 pm

Having those brackets fail does not sound typical - to my knowledge it hasn't come up here on the forum, but may be something that people in larger fleets have seen. Howsoever, it should be a relatively simple repair. My sense is, the original design, with brackets firmly connected, is rather strong enough for the purpose (also assumes that the screws on the other end are seated well, the wood inside the tank at some point may experience some dry rot). You could simply fix the brackets and ensure both ends of the wooden thwarts are well fixed in place, then there shouldn't be a need for further reinforcements. The CB trunk seems generally strong enough to withstand the brackets pushing against it, but if grinding away the old repair exposes some cracks, it's easy to add a reinforcing patch of fiberglass.

If the cracks and the issue with the loose brackets are connected, there could have been an event with the CB grounding hard while the boat moved sideways. Probably worth dropping the boat on the ground (and with mast up) using a halyard to lay it on its side, so you can inspect the CB. Cosmetic cracking or gelcoat crazing can be expected and is worth fixing (eventually), you just need to make sure there isn't real damage there.

The CB fitting on the DS1 locks the CB in the up position, not the down position. It's meant to ensure the board stays up while being launched from the trailer (while on the trailer, the board should always be supported by a bunk or roller). What some racers do is to install something (like a line) to keep the CB down when the boat goes fast. Otherwise it can come up, partially on its own. Depends a bit on how fast you get your boat to sail and how much friction is in the gasket. I've never needed that - sadly we rarely have the correct conditions that would allow the boat to go on a plane.

The entire rudder should turn left/right and the blade should raise and lower. If the former binds, then it is most likely do to gudgeons that are misaligned. That can happen as result of a blow to the rudder. Mostly though, it tends to make it hard to take the rudder off.

If the rudder blade is hard to raise, that's not necessarily a bad thing. You want quite a bit of friction to hold it down when lowered, or it will come up on its own. Many people rig a downhaul line (but if your boat has that, make sure the cleat is one that has an auto release on overload). For me, using friction to hold down the blade works OK (on very spirited days, it likes to come up a bit) so I have not bothered with a downhaul (one thing less to maintain). Your mileage may vary.

Back to the visible repair on the CB: I wonder why it looks brown? Is it epoxy with a bit of wood filler? That doesn't seem the best choice and if it is epoxy and not coated / painted against UV exposure it may have turned brown or yellow on its own (prior to failing). But I think you wrote that you have experience with fiberglass.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby igotit » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:40 pm

It looks like an epoxy repair done years ago its cracking and chips off easily.
Ill know more once i tear into it.
I did check the shrouds and they are 1/8.....so atleast i know they have been upgraded at some point.
And the rudder slip off n on easily,steere port to starboard just fine.but the kickup is tight even with the wing nut lose.im good with some friction/tension,but at the moment its really tight.ill disassemble n get a closer look .inspect it while im there.
In a few days ill do as suggested and lay her over to inspect the centerboard.i need to do bunk work on the trailer while shes off.i noticed 2 center bunks are about 1/4" too low allowing the roller to wear into the gelcoat.need to resolve that before i eat a hole in the hull from vibration.
I seen a thread here where just that happened to a guy on a DS2.
Thank you for all this info,most of it seems like common sense.
Im handy with wood and fiberglass,ive rebuilt a few older boats that was just a glass shell.im just glad i have not stringers to tear out and replace.

Did i mention that i hate grinding old fiberglass..... :D
igotit

Postby GreenLake » Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:09 pm

Looks like you have a lot of experience. That'll come in handy.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:22 am

Welcome to the forum and owning a DS.

Thanks for posting pictures of your boat, looks nice.

Lots of good information to be found by searching the forum, and some knowledgeable folks with their thoughts on helping with your questions.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby tomodda » Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:09 pm

Nick:

How's that 4-stroke Honda clone? Sometimes, when I get strange thoughts about long distance cruising, I consider getting one of those off Fleabay. Then my better angels knock some sense into my head. Anyway, have you run it yet?

Regarding your rudder, I've never seen cut-out cheeks like that (well, I have, but not on a boat!). Anyway, my original rudder was also stuck like yours. I removed the screw, shot some silicon spray in there and gradually freed the rudder, turned out to just be accumulated sand and gunk. I use a wing-nut on the rudder bolt, that way I can adjust the "grippiness"... all the way tight when I'm storing the rudder away, and launching.. then 1/2 tight while sailing, I tighten it up a bit if it starts kicking up on it's own - that only happens if I'm going fast in a good breeze. Works for me, and it's very easy to reach over the transom and adjust it.

Tom
tomodda

Next

Return to Day Sailer I Only