Minneapolis/St Paul area daysailers?

Moderator: GreenLake

Minneapolis/St Paul area daysailers?

Postby Vanalien » Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:45 pm

I was wondering if there are other Daysailer owners in the Minneapolis / St Paul area interested in getting together for a drink, food, and exchanging of sailing tales? I bought a DS2 here in Little Canada in the summer of '17, and have the only sailboat on the local lake... it would be nice to meet other Daysailer (and similar sailboats) owners.

I saw there was a thread back in 2012 on this topic--did that happen? Are any of you still around?

The lakes will soon be liquid again, I can't wait!
--
Steve

"Nellie Ruth"
1985 DS2 Anniversary Edition
Little Canada, MN
Steve
"Nellie Ruth" - 1985 DS2 Anniversary Edition #12819
Little Canada, MN
Vanalien

Re: Minneapolis/St Paul area daysailers?

Postby BarabooBob » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:12 pm

I know that it is about 150 miles away, but, La Crosse, WI has a fairly active group of day sailors. I am 100 miles away in Baraboo, WI and I plan on attending some of their races this summer (if we get to travel this summer.)

I bought my DS2 in October and have not had it in the water yet. Hopefully soon.
BarabooBob

Postby Vanalien » Sat Apr 11, 2020 9:18 am

Thanks, BarabooBob. I've had my DS2 since August '17 and have considered checking out the club in La Crosse. It looks like they are pretty active and have a lot of fun there.

I was hoping to find other daysailers close by, I suspect there are some. So far, my boat has not been sailed on any other lake than the one right down the street from home--since it was bought new in 1985 by the previous owner. With the stay-at-home orders in place, I won't be exploring other lakes soon.
Steve
Little Canada, MN
Vanalien

Postby bulldog39 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:39 am

I just bought a DSII last month, been fixing trailer and getting it ready to sail so far. I live in River Falls WI and hope to do some sailing on the St. Croix this summer.
bulldog39

Postby tomodda » Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:34 pm

Hi Guys, I'm waaay south of you, but have question. From when to when is your realistic sailing season up there? For liquid sailing without a drysuit, that is. Asking for a friend....
tomodda

Postby bulldog39 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:09 pm

Well the temperature of the St Croix River, which is the closest place to sail for me is 44 degrees today. the air temp is 60 degrees. if you are brave and stay dry it is possible today but you would have to dress for it. we are forecasted to get 6 inches of snow tonight and tomorrow. I think I will leave it in the garage!!
bulldog39

Postby tomodda » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:36 pm

Snow in April? No thanks... Also, I won't boat if the water is below 50F, which is about where it'll kill you from hypothermia. My local lake here jn NC hit 50 in the middle of March, although it's been a very mild winter. Usually only gets to 50 around now. What about you in WI?
tomodda

Postby Vanalien » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:46 pm

tomodda wrote:Hi Guys, I'm waaay south of you, but have question. From when to when is your realistic sailing season up there? For liquid sailing without a drysuit, that is. Asking for a friend....

Roughly late-May to mid-October. I might push up the launch to early-May this year, some pontoon boats are already in on my local lake.

I keep my boat at a dock, and the boat ramp is on the next lake south, so I have to go about 1.5 miles and then under a bridge to get there. There are definitely nice days into November most years, but you can't count on it. A wait until November might mean having to do it in sub-freezing temps and maybe snow.
Steve
Little Canada, MN
Vanalien

Postby kokko » Mon Apr 20, 2020 5:21 pm

Hey Steve! I do hope the pandemic will pass and we have opportunities to sail together again
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby barehanded » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:52 pm

I just joined this board. Recently took in a 1963 Day Sailer that hand been buried in a shed and had a chipmunk living in her mast. It only took a few hours to get her back on the water but there's still a long way to go in the restoration. If there's a group meeting up to sail I'd be interested. I've been bouncing back and forth between White Bear and Minnetonka.
barehanded

Postby Vanalien » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:36 am

Welcome, barehanded! Good luck with your restoration--I would be interested in seeing the project.

A meet-up would be fun. Maybe at the VFW on the shore of White Bear Lake someday soon? Anybody else out there listening and could suggest a time?
Steve
Little Canada, MN
Vanalien

Postby kokko » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:11 pm

Keep me posted on this Steve.
Barehanded. Steve is in little Canada and I am in Roseville
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Return to Fleets/Locations