CB Storage position

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

CB Storage position

Postby prochase » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:57 pm

I just purchased a Precision DS1 and have a question about the CB storage position. Does the CB stow completely inside the trunk when the lever is in the vertical position?

My board is hanging down about a half a foot, and when I push up in order for it to be flush with the hull there is no resistance??

Thank you,

Eric
prochase

Re: CB Storage position

Postby GreenLake » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:06 pm

This is a well-known issue.

What happens is that the CB handle connects to a square peg which in turn sits in a square hole in the board. With use, either peg or hole stop being square.

Eventually, this "play" gets big enough that you might want to do something about it.

When you do, you can "launch" your boat onto the ground, flip it on its side and remove the CB. The hole would be milled in some kind of brass or bronze plate. You may be able to shim it to reduce play. Careful so that you don't affect the orientation of the lever compared to the intended position.

In any case, it would be good to support the CB so it can't droop while on the trailer. On my trailer, there's a strategically placed roller, so the CB handle isn't supporting the board.

PS: in case you haven't had to do that before: easiest way to flip a DS is to have raised the mast and then pull on a halyard. You can do that by yourself, but it requires space. With 2-3 helpers, you can flip a boat without using the mast as a lever.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby jalmeida51 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:06 am

Last September I replaced the centerboard and handle both were badly worn. My old board dropped down at least 1foot from being flush. I think Ruddy at D&R might have a shim kit for the square hole in the c/b. I'm not sure of it. Give him a call. If your square peg on your handle is worn you might want to replace your handle. John
jalmeida51

Postby GreenLake » Sun Mar 01, 2020 3:34 pm

I used a copper washer, hammered flat, as shim material. I believe that makes it close enough galvanically.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby reedd » Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:40 am

I just picked up my new-to-me DS I yesterday. The PO indicated that the centerboard needs "re-squaring" because either the handle or the centerboard hole had rounded off over the years, making the whole centerboard slip down. The boat is from 1969, hull #22625. I'm kind of handy, but no means a mechanic or carpenter. How difficult is it 1) to gain access to the centerboard to make repairs and 2) making the repairs? Right now, I'm a bit flummoxed as to how to start. Any tips welcome.
Thanks!
reedd

Postby GreenLake » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:26 pm

To get to the CB on a DS, you need to put the boat on its side. That's done by "launching" it from the trailer to the ground (grass/carpet, something a bit soft). Just like you would launch it into the water if you don't fully immerse your trailer. It's easier, perhaps, with a trailer that can tilt. If not, you may need to tilt the trailer.

To get the boat on its side takes 3-4 people; or you can raise your mast and use a halyard to pull it over (that one works single-handed). You can then extend the CB.

Once you pull the CB handle (there are three screws), the CB on a DS1 comes out.

The most difficult part about the repair is finding some suitable material for a shim. I finally decided to hammer flat a copper or bronze washer, because the handle and the hole are bronze, and therefore copper or bronze should present the least issue wrt dissimilar metals.

Make sure you mark where the handle should be (90 degrees) so you can check that the shim end up in the correct position --- before reassembling and righting your boat.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Lifepilot » Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:52 pm

Is there any pictures of the CB removal process and correct re-assembly etc.?
Lifepilot

Postby GreenLake » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:01 am

Stick it in, fish for the hole with the handle, put the cover plate on, tighten screws. Dead simple. Don't overthink this.

PS: while you are at it, replace the rubber gasket. D&R Marine has the correct part - otherwise, improvise.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby reedd » Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:12 am

Thanks! I'll give this a try this weekend! (If I can find a copper washer someplace). I'll try to post some pictures if I have success!
reedd

Postby jalmeida51 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:15 pm

As Gl suggested you should replace the rubber gasket. The old one might be cracked and hardened. Coat both sides of your replacement gasket with waterproof grease.
jalmeida51

Postby kokko » Fri May 08, 2020 10:32 am

I was able to get my CB off without careening. I put a sawhorse under the transom and raised he back end up, Then I was able to drop the cb
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Return to Day Sailer I Only