New DS II Owner - actually, it seems it's a DS1 after all

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

New DS II Owner - actually, it seems it's a DS1 after all

Postby aigroup » Sat May 30, 2020 10:44 pm

Well I think this forum is a terrific resource for a new owner of a 1992 DS II.
The seller indicated that there is no title for the boat.
Does this sound correct?
NY doesn't require registration for a non-powered boat.
thanks
aigroup

Re: New DS Ii Owner

Postby tomodda » Sun May 31, 2020 12:42 pm

Welcome aboard! Title means you legally own the boat, registration means you've paid your yearly taxes on it. Dunno the laws in NY, do you have an outboard? Is that still non powered? Many jurisdictions put a minimum length on what's taxable (registered). I'd double-check, also your local govt may also have some crazy ideas re: taxing boats. But you definitely want proof that you own the boat, if nothing else a notarized bill of sale or an affidavit. Again, double-check with the State. Over here in North Cackalackey, both registration and boat titling are handled by the Fish and Wildlife Comission, dunno about NY. Also, assuming that you have a trailer with the boat, you'll need to keep the DMV happy. And they are WAY more strict than the "boat police," at least for us small boat sailors. Of course, make sure you have adequate PFDs (CG type 2 or better, one for each person on the boat, preferably actually wear them, and I like to carry a spare) and whatever else your state requires (whistle? fire extinguisher?). Anyway, Internet is your friend here, most states publish their rules and regs pretty conspicuously.

Fair winds!

Tom
tomodda

Postby jalmeida51 » Sun May 31, 2020 2:58 pm

You need a tittle to prove you own the boat. Most states to get a used boat a tittle is a lot of running around, of course some states make it harder than others. You should contact the agency in your state that does the boat tittles and ask them how to get a tittle. Better still have the seller get you a tittle and if he can't I wouldn't buy the boat. There has to be some reason why this seller does not have a tittle. No tittle could cause you problems when you sell it. Be careful, John
jalmeida51

Postby aigroup » Sun May 31, 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks for the responses.
I have the registration for the trailer - which in NY is title as well.
I only have a sales receipt for the boat - and the sellers sales receipt when he purchased it last year.
Do you know where I might locate a downloadable owner's manual??
I've poked around this blog but haven't found any links.
aigroup

Postby GreenLake » Sun May 31, 2020 6:15 pm

For "owner's" manual, look in this section of the forum for "Roger's book". It's a "third-party" manual for the DSII that you can order.

Also, read everything you can on this site: not only in the DSII section, because other than issues relating to the double hull and the centerboard, most everything else is common for many models of the DS.

As mentioned, title is a proof of ownership involving a certificate from the state, but not everything has or requires a title. For boats, there is a minimum size and you may have to find out what that is in your state. I own two dinghies, the are about a foot different in length, one of them has a title and must be registered in my state even as a pure sailboat, the other does not.

Now, if there's no requirement to register your boat, then there's no official act where someone may want to see a title, but best to inquire locally. Also, the "non-powered" boat as pointed out, may be iffy to rely on because you'll put some outboard or trolling motor on that boat before you know it.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby aigroup » Sun May 31, 2020 8:34 pm

The previous sales receipt is very faded.
Is this ID number indicative of the mode;?
Sly14022p292
aigroup

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:31 am

I believe 14022 may be a possible sail number for a 1992. But that's just a gut feeling.

Now, you can join the DSA over at https://daysailer.org and once you do for the princely sum of $35.00 you can apply to their secretary to have the number 14022 looked up in their records, and, if not taken, assigned to you.

That way, there's no doubt about it.

However, a 1992 boat MUST have an HIN somewhere on the boat where it cannot be removed. Actually, in two places, one visible and one more hidden, IIRC. So you should be able to find an HIN and that contains the sail number.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby aigroup » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:15 pm

Thanks GreenLAke.
I'm heading out now to check the HIN.
This is certainly a newbie question, but Sail number and HIN number can be different?
aigroup

Postby GreenLake » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:42 pm

Not after 1971. Before that, there was no such thing as a HIN. Wikepedia and other places are happy to tell you the story, as are older posts here. Happy reading.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby aigroup » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:42 pm

here's a photo. Having trouble uploading others.
Attachments
IMG_0889.jpg
IMG_0889.jpg (153.56 KiB) Viewed 7919 times
aigroup

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:21 am

Very nice.

Suggestion on images: the limit is 256KB in file size. The factor that affects that the most is not the dimensions of the image, but the jpeg compression level. Even if you set that to "medium" or ~65% your picture will still look good and you can go a bit larger in the pixel dimensions.

Really large pixel dimensions are awkward to use on this forum, but you can go to 1000 or even 1200 pixels for the wide dimension if you compress. If you have further questions, add some to the "how to/forum info" section's thread on posting images.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby aigroup » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:49 am

The previous number is the Sunfish/Laser code indicating builder (SLI)/ hull number(14022) / production date.

The center board raises and lowers using a lever on the center board trunk.
Does this mean my DSII might not be?
aigroup

Postby Alan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:13 pm

It's not an O'Day DSII, anyway. The cuddy opening on the DSII is wider (but not completely open like an O'Day DSI). And the O'Day DSII transom doesn't have a shelf - it's just a single wall.

In my opinion, you're better off with a centerboard handle than the complicated, trouble-prone rope and wire and block arrangement used in the DSII. O'Day went through several versions of it, and as nearly as I can tell they never really got it right. That's probably why Cape Cod Shipbuilding, which makes the modern Daysailer, went back to a handle.

That is definitely a nice-looking boat. I expect you'll be happy with it.
Alan

Postby Alan » Wed Jun 03, 2020 12:17 pm

And on another topic, it looks like your centerboard is hanging down a bit. You may want to check on how well it's secured, because if it drops down while you're launching, it will catch on the trailer, possibly to the amusement of your crew. Don't ask me how I know this.
Alan

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:27 pm

Looks like you have one of the newer DS1s. Would you want me to move your post? Perhaps, that would be for the better.

+1 on @Alan's warning re: CB hanging down.

First, make sure the CB is supported while trailering. You could mount a roller or a bunk below it.

Second, make sure the CB can be locked in the up position (or have a way to tie the handle) so it can't fall between rollers when you launch (but whatever locking mechanism you use, it should not be the one that holds up the CB during transport -- there's too much lever arm).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Next

Return to Day Sailer I Only