New DS II Owner - actually, it seems it's a DS1 after all

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Re: New DS Ii Owner

Postby aigroup » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:34 pm

Alan - very prescient observation on the CB.
When fully retracted does the CB lay flush with the underside?
Looks like the trailer took a nobble out of the CB.
Having the repair shop deal with this tomorrow.
Should I be with the other illegals over at the DSIII site?
Attachments
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg (49.53 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg (49.53 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
aigroup

Postby aigroup » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:39 pm

here's the photo of the CB.
Attachments
IMG_0887.jpg
IMG_0887.jpg (32.44 KiB) Viewed 5464 times
aigroup

Postby aigroup » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:42 pm

Green Lake - please move the post. I thank Alan and you for your helpful comments. thanks
aigroup

Re: New DS II Owner - actually, it seems it's a DS1 after al

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jun 03, 2020 6:48 pm

Done, and it's got a new title. If you don't like, you can edit your first post.

(The subject line of the all the other posts will stay as before, but new posts will pick up the new one.)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby RobH912 » Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:44 pm

Welcome - yes the site has a lot of good information on DS to search for and nice folks who chime in.

Late response, and agree that you have a Sunfish Laser Inc. DSI. Looks nice.

I have SLI hull # 14061.
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby aigroup » Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:48 pm

thanks Rob. This is my first DS and I'm excited about launching
aigroup

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:17 am

I now see from the photo that even the new DS1 has the "locking" CB handle. There's a little piece in the forward bottom corner that should lock the CB in the fully upright position. Now that is meant to be used during launch, not as the sole means of holding up the CB while in transport (you do need support from below). But you should make sure the lock engages when you stow the CB and that it actually works. (It's a simple piece, easy to verify).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby lemsteraak » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:01 pm

Yes, that is a boat made by Sunfish Laser Inc, and you have found one of the shortcomings in all the DS1's. All in all a great boat, it is a bit of a redesign / modernization of the O'Day and they did an excellent job adding features without compromising the original design. They are well suited for racing and quite competitive right out of the box. An excellent boat for heavy weather.

The centerboard problem you mentioned is really common. The CB handle is the same from the original DS1 design and with the exact same advantages and shortcoming as the original. Most of the centerboard locks have been taken out for racing as when you are in a hurry to get the board down an inexperienced crew will forget that the lock is there. Crews can easily bend the handle and they don't bend back easily and are expensive to replace, so most skippers remove the lock. The second area is that it is common practice is to support the board somehow when trailering. Having the handle "locked" isn't necessarily the best as the square hole in the CB can enlarge and can develop a lot of play. I just finished putting a piece of plywood under the centerboard area on my trailer to support the board. Most of these trailers are designed for all around use or for fishing boats and not well designed for sailboats.

Someday you will want to take out your centerboard and repair the bite where your trailer bit it. First make a support for the board and then there is a lot of info in this forum on how to repair centerboards. Nice score on the boat, you will love it.
lemsteraak

Postby RobH912 » Tue Jun 09, 2020 2:31 pm

Finally got the winter shrink wrap off the boat today and here is a picture of the center board handle on my SLI DS.

Some previous owner figured that the easiest way to release and lock was to set up a block and a cleat.

There is a pawl (triangle piece of metal) but it doesn't seem to hold anything, nor do I have to touch it to raise or lower.

Nice thing about the current set up is I can bring the CB up part way and cleat it where I want it to be, for example on a light air down wind run.

Hope this helps.
Attachments
IMG_3616.jpg
IMG_3616.jpg (70.41 KiB) Viewed 5416 times
Rob

DS1 #2444
Cape Cod
Eastham, MA
RobH912

Postby GreenLake » Tue Jun 09, 2020 4:40 pm

I found the pawl will not engage if the CB handle for some reason doesn't reach full vertical (perhaps due to a bit of misalignment). Rob, your setup looks great for those that have a bulkhead in that location.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Previous

Return to Day Sailer I Only