Replacing Paddle Boom Crutch

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Replacing Paddle Boom Crutch

Postby RockHallBill » Thu Jun 18, 2020 8:18 am

My DS I has a paddle / boom crutch with a broken handle. Where can I buy a replacement wooden paddle so I can transfer the Schaefer "key" to make a new crutch? What is the length of the paddle?
RockHallBill

Re: Replacing Paddle Boom Crutch

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 18, 2020 12:41 pm

Wow, you're the first one I've heard from who still has/uses that paddle/boom crutch.

The one for my boat was long gone before I bought it, so I can't help you there. In particular, I've never seen the part you call a "key". Would you care to upload a picture here? (See the "Forum info" section for how to). However, what I don't understand from your description: are you missing a piece from your broken paddle? Because otherwise, you should be able to determine the length. The one place that stocks many of the genuine DS parts is DR Marine. I'm not sure that they have a paddle in stock, but the owner is rather knowledgeable about early DSs.

Another way to determine the length required would be to rig your boat and put the boom into the location it would have been held by the boom crutch and then take a measurement.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby lemsteraak » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:12 pm

Sounds to me like you have a custom part. I've seen paddles used for this and even had one on my DS1. They have a life, the ones you buy at the store are nice light and strong but not rot resistant. If you use rot resistant woods it will either be very weak, like redwood or cedar, or really heavy like teak. There are some videos on YouTube on how to make a simple paddle but plan on spending hours on a very basic one if you go that way. On thing to take into account, DaySailers sail so well in light airs that you can make a pretty crude paddle, you shouldn't have to use it much.
lemsteraak

Postby GreenLake » Thu Jun 18, 2020 3:37 pm

It's simple to make any wooden paddle rot-resistant: sand off the factory applied varnish, and seal it with epoxy. Either standard laminating epoxy or any of the ones formulated for coating, doesn't matter much. Optionally add a strip of glass cloth across the bottom, to prevent scrapes from breaking the seal (the glass will become invisible if coated properly). Then cover with any varnish that has UV protection. I use SystemThree Linear WPU, which is water soluble PU that is pretty tough and scratch resistant. If you do break the seal, you'll have to dry out the paddle and repair the coating, otherwise there's no further maintenance.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby kokko » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:05 pm

I still have mine, but I don’t use it as a boom crutch. It is a clever, but flawed idea.
The blade fits in a slot in the floorboard and a key slot on the foaming. If the floorboard shifts, it levers the paddle out of the key slot

Rig a topping lift for you4 boom
DS1 Truelove
kokko

Postby GreenLake » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:34 pm

That's what I suspected.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only