Epropulsion Electric Outboard

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Epropulsion Electric Outboard

Postby Nephroid » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:10 am

I really like the idea of a simple electric outboard and had been seriously researching the new Torqueedo 1103C when I came across the Epropulsion Spirit 1.0 Plus.

https://nestawayboats.com/shop/epropulsion-spirit-plus-1kw-electric-outboard/

Torqueedo seems to be the dominant player in this space and Epropulsion seems to be a new challenger in the space. On paper they look pretty compelling:

Epropulsion Spirit 1.0 Plus advantages:
    1. It's cheaper - $1,999 vs $2,699 for the comparable Torqueedo 1103C
    2. 1276Wh battery capacity vs 915Wh for the largest Torqueedo battery. This should have a serious impact on range.
    3. The battery floats (I'm clumsy so this is very important to me
    4. No GPS, might be a con for others but I like simpler electronics
    5. Looks better to me, looks more like a traditional outboard, whereas the Torq looks a bit like a science project
    6. Tiller does not detach from the body, again this means one fewer wire to connect but also means the Torqueedo will be easier to stow in tight spaces

Torqueedo advantages:
    1. Larger more established user base and dealer community
    2. Removable tiller (breaks down into smaller components

Curious to see if anyone has had any experience with the Epropulsion. They seem to have a solid track record overseas but I'm still worried about the lack of support int he US. Regardless I'm still leaning towards the Epropothat way and will keep you posted if I bite the bullet and order one.
Nephroid

Re: Epropulsion Electric Outboard

Postby GreenLake » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:02 am

I'm curious as well, we just had a good thread with information on Torqeedos, so if we can get any information on the Spirit Plus that would round things out nicely.

Just to throw these general observations in, though: First, raw battery size doesn't indicate range. Case in point are the two electric propulsion systems that I've been using on my boat, the dirt cheap 40# trolling motor and the Electric Paddle (EP Carry). The latter delivers perhaps just a touch more power although I've been going over old GPS tracks and compared speed info and they are pretty close. What's not close is the electricity consumption: the EP Carry uses only 1/3.

Now, the technologies for the Torqeedos and Spirit Plus would be expected to have a bit more in common than traditional trolling motor vs. highly optimized miniature electric outboard. But it would be good to have actual comparison for range at comparable speeds. So, I'm also hoping this gets notices by somebody with actual usage experience.

Second, neither of my systems were the kind of "Lego block" design the Torqeedo is based on and for the way I use my DS, there's been enough room in the cuddy (or in the car) for an un-collapsed motor. This may be more of an issue for people using these motors on tenders where they have to be stowed in the cramped stowage for the "mothership". The EP Carry is so light that I tend to leave it on the transom more, and the battery is so small it fits the motor well, making it similar to those Torqeedo models where the battery sits on the motor.

Third, the battery for the EP Carry is connected by cable, which allows it to be wrapped in a padded pouch -- and it swims. That's more difficult for batteries that clip on directly.

Fourth, the one thing that the EP Carry has that the Torqeedo doesn't is an extra long tiller like control arm. I can sit at my normal position to operate it. I don't know how the Spirit Plus compares.

Fifth, the price. I believe I paid something like 1699.00, which is relatively high given the really moderate power, but I'm a bit of a minimalist and wanted the lightest system available. But it would be good to get a fuller comparison. (And I'm with you on not wanting a GPS in my motor)
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Re: Epropulsion Electric Outboard

Postby Alan » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:00 pm

GL, +1 on the GPS. Among other things, the Torqeedo 1003 display is very hard to read in bright sunlight.

Tiller/throttle: I found a tiller handle extension at Cabela's, here:

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/SearchD ... pageSize:&

but I haven't actually used it because you can mount the Torqeedo throttle remotely with an extension cable (you also need to mount the battery remotely with its own extension cable, because the throttle connects to the battery).

By the way, the detachable tiller makes it possible to get all the way to your favorite boating venue and realize you've left the tiller at home. Ahem.
Alan

Return to Day Sailer II Only