Advice on buying DS1

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Advice on buying DS1

Postby rsue » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:43 pm

Hi, I am looking to buy a DS1 for casual racing and possible overnighting. [I am not very knowledgeable about boats.] What are things to look for when buying a DS I? thanks
rsue

Re: Advice on buying DS1

Postby GreenLake » Mon Sep 21, 2020 7:52 pm

While you may not have specific knowledge about boats, are you a hands-on, fix-it-yourself type person or are you looking for something low-maintenance?
Is budget the primary concern?
Also, what made you settle on a DS1 over a DSII (or modern DS1's which are a bit like a combination of features).
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby lemsteraak » Tue Sep 22, 2020 1:47 am

You get a lot of bang for the buck with a Daysailer, they made so many of them and they have held up so well that there is a very good supply out there.

Racing and overnighting are two different animals but you can definitely find a club racer that will do both. In general the DS1 are favored by the racers while the DSII have a lot of nice features added like self bailing cockpits and more buoyancy in the event of a capsize. A more expensive option that sort of combines the best of both and that is the newer DS1's made by SLI and Precision, and Cape Cod (of course). They seem to do everything well, but are more rare and bring in a higher price.

The boats we really like are the ones that have had owners over the years that take care of them. We have seen ones that are flat worn out but even then the parts, like the mast, are worth the asking price. This was a wise move to ask for help, and I would suggest if there are any clubs with DaySailers in your area, go and check them out and ask around. There are a lot of older DaySailers that the owners are very attached to but don't sail them anymore, if you ask nicely, you might get a great boat.

Rich
lemsteraak

Postby rsue » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:41 pm

Thanks for your thoughts and questions.

I am not competitive and don’t care about winning but I am interested in becoming a better sailor. I am interested in joining a club that races so that I may sail regularly with others from whom I can learn and have fun. I want to take day trips in Narragansett Bay with possible overnights.

I am looking for a boat that I could sail alone if friends/crew aren’t available. Some boats I’ve considered are Beetle Cat, Rhodes 19, and DS. I like a Beetle Cat but it’s wood. Rhodes 19 may be too big? This summer I contacted 2 nearby clubs that race DS. A member of one club took me out for a sail in his DS1. I asked for advice on buying a boat and was directed to this forum. The other club asked me to apply for membership first which I have not done yet. Over Labor Day weekend, I did an overnight in a DS1 (not sure of year but with wooden seats) from Old Lyme to Napeague, L.I.. (This was with a small charter business, Marsh & Bay Expeditions.) I enjoyed both sails.

My interest in the DSI is the wood trim, possibility of wooden seats (aesthetics) and open cuddy (function). I think the DSI offers some shelter whereas the DSII would not b/c of smaller opening. I believe I read on this forum that the DSI has a simpler CB trunk design with fewer leaks than in the DSII design. Lack of flotation would be a concern.

Low maintenance would be good. I am willing to sand & paint and do general upkeep but I am less interested in major fiberglass work/repairs. At this point, I am trying to keep my budget at $2000 or less.
rsue

Postby GreenLake » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:55 pm

DS1s with wooden seats exist, but are comparatively rare.

DS1s with wooden coamings, thwarts and floorboards are more common.

A DS can be singlehanded. However, one that has a mast with a tabernacle would be easier to set up. As you claim not to be competitive, the slight loss of sailing performance would not matter. But it would be a shame to purchase a DS 1 with a keel-stepped mast and then cut that, because that combination is considered the most competitive by those that are serious racers.

A DSII may be marginally better at capsize recovery and while the cuddy bulkhead is a bit less convenient, it allows a cuddy hatch to keep your gear in the boat. I've only ever done beach camping from a friend's DSII, not sure whether I would find anchoring and sleeping aboard all that much fun.

I totally get the idea of joining a group that holds races as a way to put days on the water on the calendar. I attend a local "sail what you brought" event that that purpose and yes, it does improve your sailing technique and boat handling. But be sure you understand just how competitive you are. I'm happy to "vigorously defend last place" in an event where faster boat types do not have handicaps. Being always near the end may not be everybody's cup of tea.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby lemsteraak » Wed Sep 23, 2020 5:43 pm

Hi Rsue,

Singlehanding a DaySailer is relatively easy but they are a little spirited. I find that in higher winds I go easy and get the boat up on a plane and then they are very stable. I've never sailed one with a reefed sail so I don't know how that works, if the wind is too high to sail comfortably, then I don't sail or find a crew or two.

There are so many variations of DaySailers that it is confusing. You can modify any of them to suit your needs if you are at all handy. The early ones are very much like old wood boats and that sounds like what appeals to you. I picked up an very old one that I'm in the process of rebuilding, you can find the writeup in "Woodie", she was cheap and had good bones. Expect to have to replace most all the wood as you are talking about boats that are 50-60 years old.

Rich
lemsteraak

Postby rsue » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:18 pm

So when looking at a boat what do I look for in the:
Hull
Mast
Rigging
Centerboard
Rudder
Transom
Cuddy
Fiberglass
other

I am going to see a boat that is in the water. Are there things I should check out when it’s on a trailer?
This boat has a tabernacle. Pros? Cons?
Lastly, the boat has an air vent just forward of the mast. Thoughts on this?
rsue

Postby GreenLake » Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:07 am

What are you looking for?
  • A project boat? - Cheap but can be resuscitated, needs multiple repairs that may require time/effort/skill, "bones" need to be solid
  • A functional boat? - Shows its age, but no major repairs/replacements needed, except new sails and/or running rigging
  • A fully restored boat? - Everything is optically and functionally perfect; you'd haggle over any scratch

The same goes for a trailer. Substitute tires for sails and running rigging as the "consumables".

These boats, DS1's even more so than DSIIs are eminently repairable. Some stuff like standing rigging should be replaced periodically, other stuff, like running rigging and sails are true consumables (their lifetime is measured by use). Foils can be rebuilt or repaired with moderate expense / effort. Fiberglass repairs are fundamentally not hard. Painting a boat will take effort, care and for best results, also a bit of skill. If that's not you, and you need the optics, you know what not to buy.

One exception is the mast. Hard to ship and hard to fix - don't buy a bent one. Don't by a DS1 with rust along the cuddy opening: there's rebar(!) there, and if that starts to rust, the repair is involved (but doable).

Tabernacle is a drawback to anyone wanting race competitively as the mast behaves differently. For more casual racing or cruising, not as much an issue. Know what you want.

Ask for a test sail, if the boat is in the water.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Return to Day Sailer I Only