one piece mast raising

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS1. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

one piece mast raising

Postby saxplayer2 » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:05 am

I just bought a Daysailer with a one piece mast. It's light enough to pick up by myself but hard to stand up, (while standing on the ground.) I haven't tried it while standing on the boat yet. Is there a way to raise the mast and install single handed? I'm not going to cut the mast as many has suggested on other forums. This mast has the halyards internal. Is this an aftermarket mast?
saxplayer2

Re: one piece mast raising

Postby Fly4rfun » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:27 pm

I have the cut mast, (tabernacle) it makes it very easy(for me) to raise. I always raise my mast while on land. more stable at that point. GreenLake , our moderator, has a interesting setup, with his full length mast
"Sail Aweigh" 1966 DS1 #2675
Fly4rfun

Postby GreenLake » Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:03 pm

There's an entire thread somewhere on this topic. With lots more details. The summary writeup is here:

Raising a keel-stepped mast

With a crew, you can use one person to keep the mast foot on the ground, while the other pulls the mast vertical; then someone climbs onto the deck and both transfer the mast while keeping it vertical. My setup can be used single handed. When I have a helper I usually have them stand at the back of the boat to "receive" the mast as I lower it, or to help me guide it into the sleeve and then start me on lifting it.

The trick with all masts is that once they are vertical - the only challenge is to keep it that way. Usually you need an extra pair of hands (on the bottom) or you can use a tabernacle or my mast sleeve.

The advantage of my system (not my invention) is that it does not change the sailing characteristics of a keel-stepped mast (known to be superior). That's why every "cut" mast is a bit of a loss to the DS community,
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby JimTan » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:08 pm

Found it, thanks GreenLake
JimTan

Return to Day Sailer I Only