Looking for tapered mast

Ads are automatically removed after 60 days.

Moderator: GreenLake

Looking for tapered mast

Postby DavidOates8011 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:33 pm

I am interested in a tapered mast for my DS1. Who are the dealers? I am checking with Zephry of Cape Cod Shipbuilding and Selden.
Know of any good used out there anywhere?
David Oates
DS1, #1924, year 1965, 'Survivor'
San Antonio, TX
DavidOates8011

Re: Looking for tapered mast

Postby Bob Damon » Fri Oct 05, 2018 1:15 pm

I recommend the Selden. They only work through dealers and I would talk with Annapolis Performance Sailing. Not sure if there is a Selden dealer closer to you but APS is accustomed to working the Day Sailers with fleet 1 in Annapolis.
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Postby DavidOates8011 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:53 pm

Bob, do you know Tony Gross formerly from fleet 1? He & wife just moved out here & he is sailing with me this Saturday!
I did get a quote from APS for $1400 + shipping. That's more than I paid for the boat but I heard about the price range. In your long experience is it worth it? I have a stepped mast & it is a about 4 inches short. I do have a mast Jack that I can raise about 2 inches. Ive seen how difficult it can be to raise the 1 piece mast. I have new sails from Neil Pryde & spin by SLO. I'm very interested in going to nationals next summer in Galveston but I need to get my boat all measured & in compliance.
David Oates
DS1, #1924, year 1965, 'Survivor'
San Antonio, TX
DavidOates8011

Postby Bob Damon » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:11 pm

Hi, yes I know Tony from when they sailed in Annapolis. Tell him I said Hi! As far as the mast, a Selden for a Day Sailer that will race is recommended. If you will not be racing that much, a stock mast that will go through the cuddy, one piece mast, is next best. Hinged masts are hard to tune. Also if your mast is short, that as well is a killer for speed as well as head room. $1400 sounds very low for a Selden but maybe it is correct. Check also with Dwyer about a stock mast. As far as sails, the Neil Pryde is a recreational sail and will not give the performance. If you want a good quality sail, the Intensity Sails are inexpensive and perform well and next would be the SLO. Feel free to email me at nomadbob@aol.com with quesions, good luck!
Bob Damon
Class Measurer

Return to WTB: Everything Else