Considering Parting Out DaySailer II SOLD!

Ads are automatically removed after 60 days.

Moderator: GreenLake

Considering Parting Out DaySailer II SOLD!

Postby Woreign » Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:15 pm

I have a 82 DaySailer that I can't seem to sell or even give away (tried to donate to a youth sailing school). There's nothing wrong with it and it's ready to sail. I'm not asking that much either: $1,500.

If it doesn't sell, I'm considering parting it out and converting the trailer into a utility trailer.

The boat was free, so if I can get something back from the parts I purchased for it, I'd be happy.

Aside from the stock hardware, it has a new rudder and tiller, and a mast tabernacle.

Thanks,

Warren
Last edited by Woreign on Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Woreign

Re: Considering Parting Out DaySailer II

Postby GreenLake » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Warren, are you advertising this on Craigslist or other used boat listings as well? Most other DS seem to find buyers rather promptly.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Woreign » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:29 pm

Yes, it's on Craigslist. I've had three people who seemed to be serious (two even showed up at the house and I rigged the boat for them), but they all bale out at the last minute. One guy even let me keep the $100 deposit he gave me.

Otherwise I get one message, which I answer, and then no reply.
Woreign

Postby jalmeida51 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:16 pm

The market is just awful for selling sailboats. It seems to me there isn't much of a market for selling small dinghy sailboats. You go one line there are plenty of Daysailers, Rhodes19, Flying Scots, Lightings, and many others for sale. Some like you are giving them away but I understand many charities are being real fussy on which boats they will except. The large sailboat market really isn't much better. Maybe worse considering how much of a bath they will take. Boat builders are going out of business or have stopped building sailboats. The younger crowd just doesn't have time or interest in sailing. A rather sad state of affairs for people like us that loves sailing. I heard a rumor that Stuart Marine might stop building Rhodes 19. Well good luck selling your boat, sooner or later you will sell it or you can always part it out. Try listing it on Sailing Texas, Sailboats for sale by owners.
jalmeida51

Postby Woreign » Sat Jul 06, 2019 12:00 pm

It's a real shame too! Today's generation wants FAST and they want it NOW. Power boats and jet skis!

I even invited a friend at work to go sailing. He said if he's on the water he needs to be able to turn a key and go!
Woreign

Postby GreenLake » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Had a friend locally who made a "business" of purchasing small boats on Craigslist, doing minor maintenance and then flipping them. He did have a bit of inventory, but also regular turnover. Are some locations particularly challenging?
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Signalcharlie » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:24 pm

The market for sailing dinghies is soft here in the NW Florida area. We sell a LOT of Sunfish, people are familiar with that boat. People are not so much familiar with the Day Sailer even though we know it is an awesome boat. And this is not a good time of year to sell it in Florida, too hot. So I'd second the suggestion to try sailingtexas, we sold a Drascombe Lugger and Drascombe Dabber to distant buyers using them.

At $1500 it will probably sit for a while. At $900 it might go away fast. To get the max bucks you might want to clean up the stripes (repair or remove them) and make the trailer all one color, we usually get 3-4 cans of cold galvanizing compound and coat them with that.
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Small Boat Restoration blog http://smallboatrestoration.blogspot.com/p/o.html
Signalcharlie

Postby Woreign » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:29 am

I'm willing to let it go for $1000, but any less I'd rather just keep the hardware for my other boat and convert the trailer into a utility trailer.

The boat was free and the only expenses I have in it is the rudder, tabernacle, trailer tires, and lights.
Woreign

Postby GreenLake » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:03 pm

The friend who was in the "small boat flipping" market had it down to a science of what small cosmetic touches would be cheap but help sell.

Seconding @signalcharlie in that a bit of spray paint (and or better pictures) can make all the difference in selling a boat. In your case, the condition of the stripes looks like it's far worse than the condition of the boat. For the trailer, I took Hammerite to my trailer and it made a huge difference (although I'm not planning on selling :) ).

For pictures, If you had a picture on it on the water, or one that shows the cockpit (and not just as background for the rudder), that could make it more appealing to anyone not already familiar with buying used boats.

While this isn't the FS:Boats section, now that we've been discussing this, just copy your craislist link, or the link to the other listing on this forum here. At least is shows all the parts.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Signalcharlie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:45 pm

You could also put a link in your CL ad to our article on the Day Sailer, published this month in Small Boats Magazine.

https://smallboatsmonthly.com/article/oday-day-sailer/

We got a nice note from George O'Day's daughter in the article remarks, she said "It is nice to know the basic design that my Dad helped create is still vibrant 60 years later. I always find it interesting since Dad was a pure racing sailor that he designed a boat and saw the importance of appealing to the recreational aspect of sailing. He wanted to open the door to the bigger audience to share his passion of sailing."
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Signalcharlie

Postby Signalcharlie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:57 pm

What condition is the centerboard in?
What condition is the bottom of the hull in?
Have you sailed her and are there leaks?

It's too hot right now, put her aside until the Fall. Hang in there, she'll sell. All it takes is one buyer.

You could also join the Day Sailer Association and put an ad in the Quarterly Newsletter.
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Signalcharlie

Postby Woreign » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Everything works as it should. No problems with the centerboard or hull. I've sailed it several times and there are no leaks. Never any water from the bilge drain.

I'm selling because I purchased a Siren, a micro-cruiser with a usable cabin.

Here's a link to the Craigslist ad: https://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/d/v ... 43015.html
Woreign

Postby Signalcharlie » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:48 pm

Thanks for the info. We are sharing the ad on our facebook page, maybe someone will wake up and recognize a good deal.
Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Signalcharlie

Postby Woreign » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:18 am

Thanks! I actually received an email last night from someone west of NAS Pensacola who is interested. They plan to look at the boat sometime this weekend.
Woreign

Postby Signalcharlie » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:37 am

Good luck! If they have any questions about trailer maintenance, repair or replacement send them over to Eddie English in Milton, they are the best. They modified our Drascombe Lugger trailer to fit our Day Sailer, it is longer than the previous trailer she rode on.

Kent and Skipper
1971 DS II #4624 "CYANE"
Signalcharlie

Next

Return to FS: Everything Else