Need Mast for DS2 - West Coast

Moderator: GreenLake

Need Mast for DS2 - West Coast

Postby An6uS » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:29 am

Looking for a mast for my 1984 DS2 :(
Willing to travel anywhere on the west coast to pick it up.
I'm currently set up with a tabernacle/hinge, but will convert to a one piece/taper.
What I've learned
+ Ballenger no longer makes/supports DS spars
+ Selden may have an in-kind replacement
+ DR marine wont ship to west coast
+ Have not checked with Cape Cod

Please help - my back cannot take another day on a laser or 420. All that ducking with each tack is pathetic

:roll: :roll: :roll:
An6uS

Re: Need Mast for DS2 - West Coast

Postby Alan » Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:24 am

If a new one is in your budget, you can get it here:

https://www.dwyermast.com/items.asp?cat ... 2D284+Mast

They've told me in the past that the DM-284 is the most common of their mast sections used on Daysailers. They're pretty good at giving advice.
Alan

Postby An6uS » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:31 pm

On my road to recovery
Thanks Alan for the referral

Mike from Dwyer is forwarding me a spec sheet and I will be double checking measurements tonight

All in - I'm in for ~$800 for mast + rigging, which is all new from the tabernacle hinge plate up, minus the forestay which I already upgraded and was not damaged by my stupidity.
And the mast will have all the parts assembled (save the spreaders) so I can skip the hand fights with a rivet tool :D

Best of all - they have a planned shipment of new boats to deliver to West Coast Sailing here in Portland, in just a few weeks.
So my mast will be transported with a dedicated shipment of boats/spars/gear. Saves some $$ and very high certainty it will come in great condition.

GL - if you leave this up, I will share my cost details when final in a few days so other DS junkies can know what the 2019/2020 price is for (new) replacement spar
An6uS

Postby GreenLake » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:04 pm

As you are no longer looking for a mast to purchase, I'll move the whole thread to the Rigging section - that way it should avoid the "sweep" that prunes the marketplace-type sections of the forum sixty days after posting. Will see whether that works.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby An6uS » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:33 pm

I've attached the spec sheet I received from Mike at Dwyer
It looks exactly as mine (1984 DS2), but I'm going to verify dimensions.
I also need to determine the offset for the spreader brackets to get the correct sweep for the shrouds/side stays

One step closer

O'DAY CO (BANGOR PUNTA)_DAY SAILER II_17_DM-284_OMT1.jpg
O'DAY CO (BANGOR PUNTA)_DAY SAILER II_17_DM-284_OMT1.jpg (104.53 KiB) Viewed 98 times
An6uS

Return to Rigging