Bilge clear out while underway

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Bilge clear out while underway

Postby Watson » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:44 pm

Would like to manually pump out bilge while sailing. Can I simply run guzzler hose down through inspection port while sailing or is keeping it open not recommended, even for a few minutes during benign conditions and with partner?

Other option I am considering is installing 12v pump under cuddly floor. Would prefer to avoid that if possible but if anyone has instructions for the install, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!
Watson

Re: Bilge clear out while underway

Postby tomodda » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:45 pm

I don't sail a DS2, but.... (these are famous last words! anyway this is gonna be my opinion)

I'd be fine with opening an inspection port while underway and sticking a hose or manual bilge pump down there. If things are calm enough that you can fiddle with a hose, then things are calm enough to not worry about an open port into buoyancy spaces. That being said (written), why are you taking on so much water into your bilge space? By definition (enclosed bilge), it shouldn't be taking in spray or rain. Is your centerboard leaking? Seems as if DS2's like to leak thru the downhaul/uphaul openings. You may want to check that first, plenty of info in this forum.

By the way, there's no such thing as a dry bilge. We're just spoiled from fiberglass boats. I spend a few weeks this summer on wooden boats, great fun. Especially watching the seams between planks spurting water as we pounded along. Tack, tack, BAIL, tack, BAIL, tack.... Truth is that sailing any small dinghy is much the same, try an FJ or a Finn in a good breeze!

Tom
tomodda

Postby Watson » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:01 pm

Thanks for the reply, Tom! I ramp launch and rig every time I go out so I try to stay out as long as possible. Depending on conditions it takes on a bit after a couple hours and I’d like to be able to have a nice afternoon 3-4 hour sail without having to worry about it. Some days on the haul out it’ll drain on the ramp for 30 seconds and others it may be a good 2-3 minutes. Was just thinking if I could drain it a bit during the ride, I could have a more pleasant home stretch of the cruise. Happy holidays!
Watson

Postby GreenLake » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:13 pm

Tom covered the two main points. Track your source of water into the bilge. There's a lot of discussion on the DS2-specific challenges in that regard, but these are not wooden boats. The space between the hulls should stay dry.

And, yes, you can breach the airtight seal, as long as you are smart enough about keeping the capsize risk at effectively zero. One DS2 I sailed on had a set of ports in the coamings; these were added for installing hardware, but later used to dispose (closed) plastic water bottles during longer voyages. But, the openings also had mesh bags so you could store small items securely and out of the spray. Needless to say, each access breached the watertight integrity of the cockpit molding (=inner hull).

As long as you make sure not to keep ports unscrewed for a second longer than necessary, all these secondary uses are quite probably fine.

You could leave your collection of water bottles in the space between the hulls - out of the UV they simply work as reserve buoyancy (by preventing any water that gets in from filling the entire available space). Some people do that deliberately and use a dab of sealant to improve on the tightness of the caps. The skipper of that boat instead retrieved the bottles afterwards and started the process anew each season.
~ green ~ lake ~ ~
GreenLake

Postby Watson » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:33 pm

This is very helpful. Thank you for the reply.
Watson

Return to Day Sailer II Only