Rowing the DS II

Topics primarily or specifically about the DS2. Many topics are of general interest, so please use forum sections on Rigging, Sails, etc. where appropriate.

Moderator: GreenLake

Postby Brave Dave » Tue Sep 16, 2008 11:21 pm

Hey NJsurfboat,

How far up from the transom are your oar locks mounted?
Brave Dave

Postby talbot » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:00 pm

Update on my rowing conversion that started this thread:
It worked fine this season. Bracing inside the combing with short sections of exterior electrical conduit was infinitely easier than trying to fill the combing with a block of wood. It occurs to me that with those structures now in place, I could fill around them with epoxy. (Though that may be overkill for something that is used only occasionally.)

In terms of position, after much measuring, worry, and examination of rowboats, I decided there wasn't a lot of choice as to where to put the oarlocks on the DSII. They go more or less in line with the main sheet block at the aft end of the CB trunk. That places the rower just aft of the jib cleats. Because of the jib cleats, the next place forward to sit would be just aft of the cabin, as noted in the post above. However, I want to be able to lean back when pulling on my oars, and the cabin gets in the way. You wouldn't want to put the oars any further aft. The boat would be hard to steer, and in any case, you'd have nothing to sit on.

I've considered mounting jib lead tracks on the floor of the cockpit and installing blocks to brace my feet against. However, having just succeeded in stopping all the leaks in my boat, I'm reluctant to drill any holes in an area that might get swamped in rough weather. It would also be something else to trip over. Thanks for everyone's interest and input on this thread.
talbot

Previous

Return to Day Sailer II Only